Thursday, January 31, 2008

No Sleep Til Sioux Falls (day 52, I miscounted, UGH)


Time to take a ride in the way-back machine. The ONE and ONLY time I've seen the Beastie Boys play live is when they opened for Madonna's VIRGIN tour, 1984. I was 14 years old and the Beastie Boys were (relatively) unknown then, at least I don't think the first record had been released when I saw them. All (or "alls" if your from SoDak) I remember about the performance was 1) beatboxing, 2) live scratching, 3) they were cute, 4) at the end of their set Madonna came out and sat on their neon-lined boombox. Ahh, the memories.

I'm tired. Can you tell? I've lost that special 'something' I normally have. That twinkle in my glasses-encased eye is gone. My hair is flat. My step no-longer has its spring. "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" playing over and over in my head. As a matter of fact, I've been listening to the Beastie Boys so much lately that I can speak entirely in Beasties Boys lyrics. Here's an example, "What are you doing tonight Danielle?" Me: "I'm kicking it live." "Where do you think you'll move when you got back to NYC?" Me: "Top of Manhattan." "How'd your class go today?" Me: "I explode on site, I'm like Jimmy Walker, I'm Dyn-o-mite."

Today's Highlight: Stepping barefoot onto a cold tube of cat yak, feeling it squeeze between my toes, a couple bits sharp on the bottom of my foot.

Beastie Boys nugget of Wisdom: "This is what I got to say to y'all, be true to yourself and you will never fall."