Monday, September 8, 2008


Ahh, the famous Mapplethorpe Bourgeois photograph, how many times have I admired this one. I particularly like her sly smile. I finally saw this work (the piece tucked beneath her arm) in person yesterday at the Guggenheim. It's quite arresting in person, as was the exhibition itself. I won't claim to love (or even like) all of her work. The truth is, I don't connect with the abstract wooden sculptures, but what I love, I lurve (see Woody Allen "Annie Hall"). Watching her tackle such a broad scope of mediums was truly amazing. Some of her work really cuts through the viewer, I not only marveled at her technical expertise (especially in her use of marble and fabric), I could see, from time-to-time how she emotionally guts herself for her work. I admire that endlessly.

Where have I been? Here, there and everywhere. Nope, I didn't leave the city, instead, I treated myself to the touristy pleasures of my stomping grounds.

The lowdown:

~I went to the Bodies exhibit. Truthfully, I wouldn't recommend it. Why? Quite simply, it's very commercial. As much as I may have learned about the human body, I still feel I could've learned more in a less in-your-face sorta way. There was beauty to be found in the circulatory system displays, but the rest of it shouted money-making-machine. First of all, the tickets are very expensive. Secondly, you are not allowed to take photos. Third, the gift shop, oh the gift shop. I also question the portion of the exhibition that featured the babies and pickled fetus' at various stages of development. Finally, I'm still questioning the sources of these bodies. There really wasn't an excellent explanation for where they got their "subjects" or "specimens" or whatever term they used for the bodies. Why did I go? You'd think I wouldn't be interested, given my feelings on viewing dead bodies, but truthfully I thought I'd learn a lot and naively thought that possibly the exhibition's goal was to teach. Not so much. Big regrets. Oh, and the people around me were making tasteless jokes. Not my idea of a good time, but I guess it broke the tension.

~City Sights Bus Tour. This was great. Yes, it was the second time I've done this tour, but my mom was in town and I thought, what better way to see the city and not wear your tenny shoes down to a nub? I always learn something on these tours and being the geek that I am, gathering informational tidbits is always the recipe for a great time.

~US Open. Need I say more? Except, AMEX pretty much owns the open now and as a former employee I must admit, it somewhat sickens me. Still, I have always been a tennis fan so seeing some sweet azz getting handed from one player to another is always joyus. Sadly, the match I saw only lasted 1.5 hrs. Not much bang for my buck.

~Central Park Zoo. Penguins. Seaotters doing handstands. Need I say more?

~Tenement Museum. This museum is fascinating. There are three different tours, I took one, which lasts about an hr. You start with an outside walking tour (of sorts) then they take you into the tenement and that's when the detailed descriptions of the families (two in the case of this tour) begins. The tour guide was very polished and the exhibits were excellent. I cannot wait to go back and do the other two. Highly recommended.

I've been a busy little tourist these days.

I also saw the new Woody Allen movie (whose title I hate and find difficult to say and remember, so I won't). It was excellent. Funny. Quick. And somehow Penelope Cruz makes my girl Scarlet Johanson look ordinary. If you can even believe it.
Double true.

***Editors Note/Update***

Very sneaky sis....see this link, I guess they do reveal that the source of the bodies could be from Chinese prisons, not something they disclosed anywhere in the actual BODIES exhibition. Now I'm feeling duped, big time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

werd.