Wednesday, July 30, 2008

You Tube Weirdness and Vlogging



Have I ever told you my tragic story involving my favorite doll, Mego's Wonder Woman (see youtube-pulled commercial above to acquaint yourself with this fine, fine doll)? I saw that commercial countless times and was a huge Wonder Woman fan (big surprise, right) so I asked for her for my 6th birthday. I'll never forget it. I had my one and only birthday party, which was pretty fun as far as kiddie parties go, that is, until I opened my Wonder Woman doll and pretty much wanted everyone to leave so I could have some "alone time" with my new bff. I loved this doll so much that I broke my coveted rule not to sleep with my dolls (I didn't want to ruin their hair or risk breakage in the event of a late-night rollover), I squished-up against my wall, gave her her own tiny doll pillow (yes, I had many for my Barbie Townhouse) and off to sleep we went. It was pure bliss. That is, until the next morning when I awoke to a sharp digging pain in my lower back. And, to my horror, Wonder Woman was gone. Was she on a mission saving earth? Steve Trevor? Paradise Island? No. Her hand had broken-off and was responsible for the pain in my back, while the rest of her had fallen onto my floor. She was sprawled-out as if dead and I'd had her for less than 24 hours. So, I did what any logical 6 yr old would do, I hid her deep, deep in the bowels of my closet and I never played with her again.

What's the point of telling that story? I don't really have one except to illustrate that youtube has unbelievably random stuff out there. Unreal.

Speaking of random, remember Chris Crocker? That "Leave Britney Alone" youtube web star? It just shows you the power of Youtube. I've been doing some reading about vlogging and enclosed are some links explaining how to set-up your own vlog as well as lists of favorite vlogs. Some people think vlogging will replace blogging which would be pretty sad because quite honestly, there are so many useless vlogs on Youtube (just search "vlog" and you'll see), just as there are useless blogs, but at least blogs you have to use some creativity to write something decent, whereas many of the vlogs I've seen drunk blondes blather on about who's "hot." Anyway, you be the judge.

Linkies:

Information Wants to Be Freewww.vlogblog.com
vogmae.net/au/vlog
www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.05/vlogs.html

More Professional Librarian Blogs:

Information Wants to be Free
YALSA
Tame The Web: Librarians and Technology
Librarians Matter
Library Garden
Infodoodads

Here's a video on Library 2.0 that I dig.

No comments: