Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Murakami in Brooklyn and Librarians Punked


I made it to the Murakami show at the Brooklyn Museum of Art by the hair of my chiny-chin-chin and I must say, the long commute was well-worth it. Jeff was able to sneak a couple photos in the gallery using his mighty iPhone, until he got caught and stopped. So here is one of my favorite sculptures, a piece I'd seen for the first time at the show that really opened me up to a whole new art scene, Let's Entertain at The Walker Art Center back in 2000. It's amazing in person, so beautiful yet grotesque. The show at BMA was quite a happening, the galleries with gigantic paintings and clusters of sculptures were jammed with people ewwing and ahhing. I was among those people. It's hard to believe Murakami is only a couple years older than me and he's accomplished so much. Made me feel like a bit of a chump.

The only bummer: the Louis Vuitton shop set-up right as you left the gallery selling "exclusive" bags Murakami designed. Always. Lame.

On another note, I was turned-on to an interesting debate regarding Google using us Librarians to further their evil empire (dontcha just love those words together, evil and empire, very Star Wars of me). Read the following posts and decide for yourself. I'm somewhat conflicted and need to marinate on the whole debate before issuing an official statement.

Steven Cohen's Library Stuff Blog posting, How Google Used Librarians ang Got Away with It.

Steven Bell's Nice Infomercial, Google, in Library Journal.

Sarah Houghton Jan's Google Punked Us, on her librarianinblack.net blog.

Weigh in all...

As for me, this'll be my last post for several days as I'm going back to Sioux Falls, SD to say goodbye to that fair state for good and to tie-up a couple loose ends (anyone want to buy my scooter, lemme know). Think of me in the great prarie once again, tipping cows and rustling sheep.

Toodle, do, all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that picture... ewwwwww....

the google is a tool to sell adverts, that is all, not a place where organized knowledge is kept...

wise up and rise up, librarians...

Anonymous said...

what is that, a naked power ranger?