Monday, July 7, 2008

Six Degrees of Separation from Diana Prince


I splish-splashed through the rain on Saturday and finally made it to the Superheroes exhibit at the Met. It was grrreat! I plan to go again and maybe even again. The big thrill for me, of course, was seeing the Wonder Woman costume worn by the goddess Linda Carter from the famed 1970's series. It was about as close to meeting the Amazon Princess I think I'll ever get (suspension of disbelief here people, of course I know comic book heroes are not real people, but I'm reliving my childhood here so let's just go with it). There were a few surprises from the exhibit (btw, I plan NOT to talk about the fashion aspect on this post, I will get into that after I see the show again and have more time to get past the thrill of seeing the costumes). The first, of course, was the WW costume. Ms. Carter had a striking figure, that much I could ascertain from just one viewing (albeit lengthy viewing, apologies to all those standing behind me as I planted myself, tree-like, in front of the display). Also, as you can tell from this photo (which I didn't take, too fearful of the "No photos!" scolding I often hear when snapping pictures at shows) that the blue turned to purple, I guess it faded. Otherwise, the costume is as great as I thought it would be, much better than the plastic crap I bought at Kmart year, after Halloween year, of my portrayal of the mighty princess.

I also got to finally see Wonder Woman #1, Sensation Comics, for the first time ever (again, I was rooted in place, examining every last detail). It was thrilling, it was, I admit.

As for other highlights (spoiler alert to you Batman fans): the costume worn by Christian Bale in the upcoming Batman flick. It was great. It looked like rubber (which some of it had to have been, for sure the mask) but neither rubber nor plastic were listed as materials. But it was very cool, very interesting. I saw the nicks on the utility belt as well as the scuffs on the boots (his feet are sorta small) telling signs of its use in the film, it looked used.

Another cool costume was the Superman/Christopher Reeves from the first film, two Spidy costumes (one black, the other red) which had zippers along the rib cage, but were otherwise spandex (that Toby M, is a smallish fellow). Oh, and the Iron Man suit, I don't know how Robby could move around in that thing, he must've stood completely still. Finally, Catwoman, now, I'd seen one before when I was in L.A. around the time that film came out, but this was one that was ripped-up looking so it was very fun to picture tiney, tiney Michelle P, crawling around in that thing. That woman is so small she's child-like.

Art, all of it is, was and forever shall be art as far as I'm concerned.

Link to the show: Superheroes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.
All the world's waiting for you,
and the power you possess.

In your satin tights,
Fighting for your rights
And the old Red, White and Blue.

Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.
Now the world is ready for you,
and the wonders you can do.

Make a hawk a dove,
Stop a war with love,
Make a liar tell the truth.

Wonder Woman,
Get us out from under, Wonder Woman.
All our hopes are pinned on you.
And the magic that you do.

Stop a bullet cold,
Make the Axis fall,
Change their minds, and change the world.

Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.
You're a wonder, Wonder Woman.