Friday, March 7, 2008

I'm A Tofu Head (day 7)


Every day this week the cafeteria at SDSU has featured Tofu in its salad bar. When I first saw it (cubed and raw, but whose complainin') I did a Tex Avery double-take ("Boing"). I've been there every day since, stocking up as tofu is difficult to come by in these here parts. (Did I mention there was BACON in my potato salad on Tuesday, un-effin'-real.)

In one almighty week I move back to NYC. I woke up this morning in disbelief, after all the crud I've been through since September 06 I find it almost impossible to believe I've gotten my happiness back. And, I have a couple looking at my apartment again (second time, the landlord said "She loved it. Now she just has to show her fiance.") Pa-leze, it's a fab apt, best I've ever lived-in for a measley $700/month. What is there to think about? (New appliances and washer/dryer in the unit, COME ON.) Man, I've rented my last two apts sight unseen, have some sense of adventure kids, yer not buyin' the joint. Smash your fore-finger and middle finger together for me now and wish me luck.

I taught my second to last class today, it was on searching and evaluating internet tools. It was packed and the students were amazingly awake. I will miss these students, I really will. They made my time here so much more enjoyable. They're so polite and try pretty hard to follow along and complete the assignments without any guff. They even thank me when I hand out assignments to them. Compare this to the students at the U of MN Mpls, who'd let the door slam on my face when I went into our building. What do you do when someone is right behind you in a doorway? Anyone, anyone? Hold the door open for them. It's called what? Anyone, anyone? It's called having manners.

In teaching this class I was reminded to pull myself out of Google, every now and again, to use other search engines and meta search engines (I've gotten a bit lazy as of late). Examples to the young-at-heart include: Gigablast, Wisenut, Teoma, Clusty, Dogpile, Search.com, Metacrawler, IxQuick, Mamma, Kartoo, Turbo 10

Song Lyric of the Day: "This aint no party, this aint no disco, this aint no foolin' around."
Happy Moment of the Day: A student came up to me after class and said, "Thanks for that class, I really learned a lot."

Off to the all-you-can-eat Tofu bu-ffet.

Have a rock'n'roll good time this weekend, courtesy of Nick Cage in the great David Lynch film "Wild at Heart."

No comments: