Thursday, February 21, 2008

Welcome Back, Becker (Day 22)



Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.
(Welcome Back by John Sebastian - Welcome Back Kotter Lyrics)

Did you miss me? Did ya? Did ya? Nah, you're lyin'. Well, I'll take whatever measely compliment I can get.

I've been here, there, and everywhere and let's just leave it at that...k? That stuff I've been up to lately isn't exactly blog-postable as I try not to get all that personal with y'all (insert greasy Brittany image here). But I will say that I learned one very important thing in my most recent travels (okay, I went to Mpls, then to St. Louis, then back to Mpls for a spell) and that is that I have to stop looking backwards and concentrate on the future. Also, I need to keep in better touch with my friends.

There you have it.

I returned on Monday after a terrifying three hour drive from Worthingon, where I had to spend the night because the drive from Mpls to Worthington was evil hell. This time I really tried to approach the drive with a can-do attitude, but the interstate (or, if you're from SoDak you say it like this, "I tried to drive interstate" not THE interstate or THE freeway) handed my arse to me. It was all like, "you are NOT driving on me today" and I was all like "yeah I am" and it was all like "here's some wind to push your tiny Honda around" and I was all like "I'll grab my steering wheel so hard my hands sweat and cramp, yo." Well, you get the picture.

Work has been somewhat entertaining. I feel that shift that happens when your co-workers see you are clock-watching your final days. People are getting bold, mouthy even. When I came in late today (um, in meetings with HR, etc) one of my colleagues blurted out (and if you are reading this, I mean this lovingly) "Just come in whenever you want" or something like that. This made me laugh because I must admit, I love it when people don't hold back and say exactly what is on their minds. Exactly. It's refreshing.

Like at lunch today, I shuffled into the break room to heat-up my remaining soup and there was a table of people lunching together and chatting. I'm not one to take much of a lunch, normally I like to work through lunch (thus allowing me a little time here and there to write in this here blog) so I stood waiting for my soup and overheard the most titilating conversation. It went something like this, "Yeah, I went to buy some (insert boring hardware store item here) and I leaned over and noticed that right next to me they had it on sale for...." the rest, nope, I cannot remember it. What was said wasn't important, what is important is the people at the table looked painfully bored by the story.

Don't get me wrong, not every story needs to include a learned universal truth or an epiphany or anything heavy. But does anyone really want to hear about a trip you took to the grocery store or to (GODFORBIDIT) Walmart? Do they? Seriously? Furthermore, is that really what impacted you yesterday, so much so that you need to talk about it? It's what I consider "filler" conversation, something to fill the space between us. I am not a fan of filler conversation, not at all.

Dang, I just bored myself with that one.

Off to the races, inspiration is fleeting for me to day.

Song lyric in my head today, "Trying to make me go to rehab and I said, no, no, no..."