Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hit the Road Jack and Don't You Come Back No More (day 18)



I'm at the reference desk avidly reading exciting all about libraries articles when a student IM-ed me. He was in full freak-out mode having accidentally (how, I ask) deleting the six page paper that is due at 10am manana. He discovered (the hard way) that the trash bins on the public computers are disabled. He's somewhere in the library, right now, having a full-blown meltdown and my crusted-over heart feels for him. Been there. Done that.

On another note, I had a flaming incident. Let me tell you the effin' story: Yesterday Gawd decided to hawk evil ice loogies all over the damn place. Not cool. Instead of tempting fate and driving to work, I took for granted my Charlie Brown existence and stayed home. Since I had a class to teach in Sioux Falls, I just spent the day answering emails, organizing my computer files and listening to iTuned episodes of "Grey's Anatomy" (Yes, I've become one of those) Now, this part of the story speaks to my distracted nature lately, I entered the wrong desk hours into my Blackberry, I was supposed to work 3-5 yesterday. Like a silly little bunny, I trusted my Blackberry over all others and got into a bit of a tiff, shall we say, with a not-so-forgiving co-worker. The rub: who died and made you the lord god ruler of the reference desk, I so wanted to say, but thought better of it. What happened? I got hit with two angry-as-hell emails from said co-worker. Now, not that this sort of thing hasn't happened before, but seriously, MISTAKES HAPPEN. Shesh.

Watch me as I spin on my heels, turn around and walk away. For goot (as my Grandmother used to pronounce the word good).

SoDak Speak: Yes means No. No means yes. Dinner means lunch. Warsh means wash. Supper means dinner. Warshing means washing. Acrost means across. Hot dish means most coveted food staple. Sending flaming emails means confrontation. "I says" means "I said." Interstate means all freeways and interstates, never, ever use the name of said roadway as they are all unified.

Catch phrase of the day: "Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?"

Awkward moment of the day: running into my socially challenged neighbor who has asked me out countless times and/or compliments my outfit (???). The interaction went something like this: he sees me as I am walking out the door, he stops. Neighbor: Um, you must be all packed-up and ready to go by now, huh? Me: Nope, not at all. (Giant pause. He stands there, arms restlessly swinging by his sides.) Neighbor: Oh, uh, mmm, okay. Me: Alright, take care. I want to say, in my best Tom Cruise impression: "You Pain Me."

Geeky Link of the day: http://www.librarian-image.net/