Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I'm Smitten (Day 17)


I did it. I'm responsible. I made my once-adorable puppy fugly. She's pissed at me too, I can tell. She watched in the mirror as her long tresses were woefully snipped from her face and she knew what I was up to. I mistakenly thought it'd be funny, cute even and boy was I wrong. She's so cold now she has to wear her funky sweatshirt indoors otherwise she shivers. WTF was I thinking? I dunno, I shave my Persian and he feels better and looks cool, now my dog looks like a pig.

When I was driving to work today something on the other side of the freeway caught my eye. Someone backed a white truck up as close to the freeway as possible and on the back sliding door of the truck was the assertion "I'm Smitten!!!" spray painted in red. They just drove this truck into their cornfield, backed it up for all the world to see. That is one thing I like about living out here, sometimes you see the strangest things in cornfields. For example, I had to drive to Mitchell last Spring for a conference (that's in SoDak kids) and along that drive I stumpled upon several examples of farmer's art. What is farmer's art, you ask? It's when farmers assemble odd objects into narrative structures. There were bunnies made of old mechanical parts. There were daisies shaped out of car parts and wire, there were figures of men assembled of tires and machinery. Do these guys have mucho tiempo on their hands or are they mad artistic geniuses? You decide.

Then, when I finally got to Mitchell I was excited to see their famed Corn Palace (the road signs say it's an actual palace made of corn). It was a sorry disappointment. What they call a Corn Palace, I call a structure with corn glued to the exterior and on the interior is nothing but a gym, you know, the place those crazy kids hold proms and basketball games. Thanks for the false adverstising ya scammers.

Gimme a Diet Coke right away in the morning. Couple that with a large coffee and damn, I am flying, so twitchy I can barely type. I thought I was a warrior against caffeine but damn, I am wrong-o.

Vibe of the day: so far cool as cucumber.

Lyric of the day: "so if you wanna burn yourself remember that I LOVE YOU
and if you wanna cut yourself remember that I LOVE YOU
and if you wanna kill yourself remember that I LOVE YOU
call me up before your dead, we can make some plans instead
send me an IM, i'll be your friend" (Kimya Dawson, "Loose Lips")

I started out the day petting my Persian (his name is Sid Vicious) and he drooled on my arm. A big wet, juicy drop. Top that.