Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Day One: The Great Blog Experiment

Dear Blog,

You don't know me yet, my name's Danielle. No, not "Dawn-Yell" as my fiesty upstairs neighbor likes to call me (to my face, even). Nope, not "the girl whose puppy never shuts-up" as my downstairs neighbor yells to my management company. Or, the bitchy, mouthy tenant in #302 as my management company (who NEVER return my phone calls) certainly say about me. Nor am I "New York" as the IT guy and his pal call me behind my back (see what happens when you hit SEND too fast when emailing?). Simply, Danielle. (I was called "Black and Decker Becker" once by Steve Roxberg in the seventh grade, that was funny, actually.)

Let me tell you my backstory...I quit writing on September 2nd, 2006 (it was a very bad day for me). I also stopped reading fiction as my ability to concentrate had stolen these two abilites from me. Admittedly, I am still struggling with writing, like many things, it reminds me of a past I'd sooner forget. This leads me to why I finally started a blog: to allow me to start writing again in a non-threatening (hopefully) and non-judgemental (I pray) environment. My writing is foggy. So that is my lead-in. My first post. How'd I do?

Okay, I'm not done yet. I took a deep breath and a long gulp of my nasty watered-down Diet Coke and have decided to continue. Like my journal, I am confident I will be my only dedicated reader, but that is groovy by me. I am not well-versed in the art of reading or writing blogs to write in a snarky or clever way. But I will still tap on...

I am mighy excited about this upcoming holiday. I spent last week in NYC trying to force-feed myself holiday spirit by trudging through the soggy streets of Rockefeller Center. When I lived in NYC I avoided midtown and its stampedes of tourists. Now, since I am a tourist, I gave in. Between Union Sq. and midtown, I plunged head first into shopping hell. Am I done? Pretty-much, just a gift certificate from the Electric Fetus is next, possibly a couple iTunes gift cards and whatnot.

I'm going home to Minneapolis for xmas for the first time in several years. I've never celebrated xmas on my terms so I am quite excited about the holiday. I wish my b/f didn't have to work as spending it with him would be fun. Alas, such are the torments of adulthood.

You see, that wasn't so difficult was it? Truthfully, it was painful, but I will plod along until I shake free of those nasty hangups that have stood between me and writing.

Later,
Danielle Becker
(Yes, I love milk, organic, mind you.)

No comments: