Monday, October 20, 2008

Stupidity at its Finest


I do not like the neighborhood I am in today (east 23rd/3rd ave approx) because not only are sick people shuffling around everywhere (hospital nearby and VA) and I've been lucky enough NOT to get sick in the last couple months (although now I def. will) but also because I couldn't find a G*damn place to eat a decent lunch. Eventually I found a grocery store (with an alarming ghetto vibe) and made a disgustingly bland salad from their salad bar (at least then I was able to have a couple choices). Me, being, well, me, chose NOT to get into the "Express Lane, 8 Items or Less" because I eyed the dude in front of me clutching onto his pack of meat and figured him for a speedy fella. Incorrect was I.

But, I used my time waiting on line wisely by watching the goings-on in the express line next to me. I watched this smallish, 40ish woman with a basket full of groceries place each of her items in piles on the conveyer belt thingee, organizing them by type. For example: one pile of 6 diff. yogurts, one pile of four boxes of noodles, etc. Interesting, I thought, as the woman quickly did her organizing while the person in front of her paid. But, she did let the woman behind her clutching a salad (like myself) cut in line in front of her. Some niceness, I guess....

To clarify, yes, the sign that hung OVER HER HEAD clearly stated the rules of this line, "8 Items or Less." There wasn't room for interpretation. None.

When it was her turn here is how the conversation went:

Cashier: It's 8 items or less.

Stupid Shopper: Yeah, I know, see I have 8 different types of items (she said, pointing-out the significance of her piles then saying) see, these are yogurts, that's one, these are noodles, that's two...

Cashier: No, that's not how it works. It's 8 items or less!

Stupid Shopper: But...

Cashier: See that sign (she said pointing to the sign above Stupid Shopper's tumble-weed stuffed head), it's clear.

Stupid Shopper: What do you expect me to do? I unpacked already.

Cashier: It says 8 items.

Stupid Shopper: I let someone go ahead of me, doesn't that count for something (this comment was met by a blank stare from the cashier). Paleze....

Then, the most disappointing thing happened, the cashier rang her out anyway, much to my dismay.

So, the logic of the stupid shopper escapes me. I stood, mouth in classic fly-catcher mode until it was my turn.

Moral of the Story: I guess if you do something nice for someone (let them get ahead of you in line if you have lots of items and they have only one) you deserve to use the Express Lane any way you damn-well choose. Oh, and crying like a little b*&$h helps too, I guess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish that the checker had made the shopper pack it all up and move to another lane. This is what's wrong with society - those who don't follow the rules are just allowed to do so. They'll never learn if they keep getting their way...